This is a historical version of this statute section. Also view the most recent published version.
(a) The Department of Corrections shall submit a performance report to the chairs and ranking minority members of the senate and house of representatives committees and divisions having jurisdiction over criminal justice funding by January 15 of each odd-numbered year. The issuance and content of the report must include the following:
(1) department strategic mission, goals, and objectives;
(2) the department-wide per diem, adult facility-specific per diems, and an average per diem, reported in a standard calculated method as outlined in the departmental policies and procedures;
(3) department annual statistics as outlined in the departmental policies and procedures; and
(4) information about prison-based mental health programs, including, but not limited to, the availability of these programs, participation rates, and completion rates.
(b) The department shall maintain recidivism rates for adult facilities on an annual basis. In addition, each year the department shall, on an alternating basis, complete a recidivism analysis of adult facilities, juvenile services, and the community services divisions and include a three-year recidivism analysis in the report described in paragraph (a). The recidivism analysis must: (1) assess education programs, vocational programs, treatment programs, including mental health programs, industry, and employment; and (2) assess statewide re-entry policies and funding, including postrelease treatment, education, training, and supervision. In addition, when reporting recidivism for the department's adult and juvenile facilities, the department shall report on the extent to which offenders it has assessed as chemically dependent commit new offenses, with separate recidivism rates reported for persons completing and not completing the department's treatment programs.
(c) By August 31 of each odd-numbered year, the commissioner must present to the individuals identified in paragraph (a) a report that lists and describes the performance measures and targets the department will include in the biennial performance report. The measures and targets must include a budget target for the next two years and a history of the department's performance for the previous five years. At a minimum, the report must include measures and targets for the data and information identified in paragraphs (a) and (b) regarding per diem, statistics, inmate programming, and recidivism, and the following:
(1) average statutory per diem for adult offenders, female offenders, and juvenile offenders;
(2) the Department of Corrections field services;
(3) staffing and salaries for both department divisions and institutions;
(4) the use of private and local institutions to house persons committed to the commissioner;
(5) the cost of inmate health and dental care;
(6) implementation and use of corrections best practices; and
(7) the challenge incarceration program.
[Repealed, 2001 c 210 s 30]
Copyright © 2011 by the Office of the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.