Except as provided in subdivisions 2 and 3, a person may not operate or give permission for the operation of a watercraft that requires a watercraft license on the waters of this state unless:
(1) a watercraft license for the watercraft has been issued and is valid during the period of operation;
(2) the license number is affixed to the watercraft as prescribed by the commissioner; and
(3) a valid registration sticker is affixed to the watercraft as prescribed by the commissioner.
A watercraft license is not required for:
(1) a watercraft that is covered by a license or number in full force and effect under federal law or a federally approved licensing or numbering system of another state, and has not been within this state for more than 90 consecutive days, which does not include days that a watercraft is laid up at dock over winter or for repairs at a Lake Superior port or another port in the state;
(2) a watercraft from a country other than the United States that has not been within this state for more than 90 consecutive days, which does not include days that a watercraft is laid up at dock over winter or for repairs at a Lake Superior port or another port in the state;
(3) a watercraft owned by the United States, an Indian tribal government, a state, or a political subdivision of a state, except watercraft used for recreational purposes;
(4) a ship's lifeboat;
(5) a watercraft that has been issued a valid marine document by the United States government;
(6) a waterfowl boat during waterfowl hunting season;
(7) a rice boat during the harvest season;
(8) a seaplane;
(9) a nonmotorized watercraft ten feet in length or less; and
(10) a watercraft that is covered by a valid license or number issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in the state under a federally approved licensing or numbering system and that is owned by a member of that tribe.
A person may operate a watercraft and allow another person to operate a watercraft for which a temporary license certificate has been issued during the period the certificate is valid.
Copyright © 2014 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.